Wil Byrne and Andy Clarkin attended this years symposium which is now in its 11th iteration and took place at ICAO Headquarters in Quebec, Canada. The symposium showcases a wide range of products and sevices related to travel document security application, border inspection and automated border control systems.
This years ICAO TRIP Strategy was focused on the foundations of holistic traveller identification management, including how to contribute to the capacity of Member States to uniquely identify individuals by providing tools and knowledge to establish and confirm the identity of travellers.
Elements of the ICAO TRIP Strategy:
- Evidence of identity: credible evidence of identity, involving the tracing, linkage and verification of identity against breeder documents to ensure the authenticity of identity;
- Machine Readable Travel Documents (MRTDs): the design and manufacture of standardized MRTDs, including ePassports, that comply with ICAO specifications, hence minimizing document fraud, including current and emerging ICAO MRTD Standards, Recommended Practices and specifications, best practices and the 24 November 2015 deadline for the expiration of non-machine readable passports;
- Document issuance and control: processes and protocols for document issuance by appropriate authorities to authorized holders, and controls to prevent theft, tampering and loss;
- Inspection systems and tools: inspection systems and tools for the efficient and secure reading and verification of MRTDs and eMRTDs, including use of the ICAO Public Key Directory (PKD); and
- Interoperable applications: globally interoperable applications and protocols that provide for timely, secure and reliable linkage of MRTDs and their holders to available and relevant data in the course of inspection operations. need of inter-agency cooperation and data sharing to ensure the integrity of passport issuance and border controls.